Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Kid Here is a Phee-Nom!

I'm aware of how long it seems between posts, when they're posted 'only' daily. Four panels and then that's it? We've got to wait 24 hours for the next 4 panels? But of course that's just how it is and was for the newspaper comics. Sometimes it was agony, wanting more, having to wait.

That's of course where the Pogo books came into play. Read, reread, go out and find and collect another Pogo book. Finding a Pogo book that you hadn't read before was the treasure of treasures.

But between those times, at least a new strip would show up every 24 hours. I would clip em, save em, and before I knew it—I had a bunch of em. And then I would collect them into a book of my own, laying them out in a similar fashion as Kelly's printed books, with room for extra art and commentary.

And that's why we have these strips to look at now, because I made my own books and kept them all these years.

24 hours is a long time sometimes, isn't it?


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for republishing these old Pogo strips. Reading Pogo in the paper was of the things I really enjoyed with my Dad, at one point he / we had quite a collection of Pogo paperbacks. I got rid of them when they were brown and crumbling, after sitting in a damp basement for too long. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time. But always worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete