Saturday, November 19, 2011

Run Like a Summerin' Finch

I have to post the Pogo Sunday strip tonight, Saturday nite, cuz I won't be available on Sunday morning. I know how some of you beat it over here on Sunday morns, and I would hate to disappoint anyone.

Besides the usual love of Kelly's art and his characters' shenanigans, I love how the Pogo logo is nestled in the middle of that summer grass. Not many cartoonists of that era took the time to do things like that.

Happy Sunday, Kelly Sunday!


1 comment:

  1. You're right about that first panel! That one is fantastic.
    I also love how Kelly lays that panel out. More than half of the panel is 'lost' space, there's nothing more than a tree and some grass (and the logo, off course). And still, the composition is superbly done, with the diagonal of the tree and grass opposing ms. Beaver. There's a nice contrast between detail and no detail, too.
    This is one for the scrapbook (but aren't they all)!

    ReplyDelete