Sunday, January 8, 2012

Special Indian Snow Dance

Great news for all you Kelly and Pogo fans! This blog has a new friend that has some older Sunday pages in his collection that he is generously planning to share with us, as well as some other Kelly treasures. He will be sending over the raw scans and I will be doing the painstaking processing, so it may take a while. But oh, I'm looking forward to it, and probably you are too. In the meantime, I still have plenty of pages from my collection to post and other special Kelly stuff as well.

This page is from Kelly's final period of 1973, a valiant hurrah, or there's always a chance that it was a reprint. At this point, I dunno—it's hard to keep track of what was happening in those final months.


3 comments:

  1. Tom,

    Judging by the lettering style, I think that this was a reprint of an early to mid 60s strip.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, I'm guessing reprint too, but I have nearly every Sunday strip from 1964 to the bitter end in '73. It would almost have to be earlier than that, but not much earlier than 1959 or '60 in my opinion and up through '63. There is a huge area of time there when little of his Sunday work was collected even in the Simon and Shusters, so prolly from that time. We may find out from our new blog friend, who has a lot of stuff from that era.

    Look at that 3rd panel, the drawing seems stretched or something, and also the copyright box in the next to last panel seems weak, like someone assisting added it to an old strip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WILL BE HERE WATCHING FOR ALL YOU CAN SEND--& THANKS TO THE FRIEND WHO IS SUPPLYING MORE POGO--charlie

    ReplyDelete