Sunday, February 14, 2016

True Wit

Let's stick with post-Kelly for a few strips, as we show the work of Doyle and Sternecky continuing the strip into the '90s. To tell you the truth, I liked their run, of the few strips of theirs that I saw and clipped. 

Since it really couldn't be Kelly doing the work, I thought these guys were the next best thing, as they went above and beyond the cornpone simulations by Selby and others, inventing new and novel shtick as Kelly was wont to do in his day. The drawing was decent and colorful.  I've read that some fans hated the work by D&S, but I thought they showed some true wit.

March 4, 1990

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, Thom. Kelly was an outstanding true genius. A phenomenon among millions in the history of arts.
    But then, like you said, Doyle and Sternecky did quite a descent respectful job. Quite a masterful feat in itself. we don't need to read their Pogo, but these guys should be praised for the amount of work, dedication and innumerable efforts they put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the entire post-Kelly run will ever see the light of day?

    Possibly as content for the last Fantagraphics volume mayhaps?

    I'm in agreement. It wasn't Kelly, but it might have picked up a bit more maligning than it deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed this one when it came around, so this is the first I've seen it. I like it! A nice bit of play with the 4th wall. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just popped into my mind and will not leave: "Gator Amuck"

    ReplyDelete