Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Madness

Dis it it. Dis is da final strip I have for dis run.

Madness, it is, but about 10 years ago I got rid of many of the Pogo dailies that I had collected. They were getting dog-eared, I was bored with them, I was lightening the load, many of them were already reprinted in the books . . . (let's see, what other rationalizing can I think of for such madness?) But the GOOD news is that I didn't succumb to any of those thoughts about the Sunday strips. I kept every one that I ever collected from 1963 to 1973 (that doesn't mean that a few aren't missing, y'know maybe the paper didn't show up that day or some such).

Somewhere in the late 60s I pasted a whole bunch of dailies in a scrapbook, and that's why I still have the strips that we've been seeing the past couple months. I still have a run from earlier that year, and various miscellaneous strips that I will share a bit down the road.

SO, I have no recollection of any closure on Natural Ghastley after the above strip. Maybe someone has access to digitized newspaper files and can tell me, but at least the strip above seems a nice place to stop.

So, come back on Sunday. I'll have the consecutive color Sunday for you, and I'll think out loud where to go from here.

Good night Charlie! Good night Schulz!

6 comments:

  1. this has been a nice run--looking forward to whatever you choose to post--charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks charlie, I've got some really good stuff coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom,

    I've enjoyed it too. Especially since I'd NEVER seen these strips before.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't seen these either. Loved each and every one...and with a storyteller like Kelly...is the ending really as important as the road there? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you guys, and well stated, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom,

    Maybe you can clarify something for me. A friend swears up and down that there was a POGO baseball sequence (I suppose around world series time) in which Ma'amselle Hepzibah got hit on the head with a ball and later turned up at Pogo's doorstep in a nightie (sic). I scoffed at the improbability of the notion, but he seemed quite adamant. Are you aware if this sequence really exists?

    Chris

    ReplyDelete