Friday, April 24, 2020

Inedit en Francais!

Okay, I'm trying to figure out how to do this. Here's the situation:

Buried in my Kelly archives is a Pogo episode that is from a booklet published in French, from a period that hasn't been compiled in English (to my knowledge, and I could be wrong). These scans are pretty good quality and even have spot color here and there. For those who don't read French, they are still fun to look at, as the storyline seems to be a bit fantastical. 

I ALSO have the same story in the original printed strips, in English, BUT the resolution is less than ideal, though not terrible.

The question I pose to you all (and please do weigh in), should I post the entire French version, page by page, all the way through? And then the English version? OR do I post a page from the French book along with the equivalent English strips so you can follow the actual story? This idea would cause me more work, because I'd have to line them up and deal with strips that don't quite match up with a page content. I think it could get complicated for me.

BUT, I'm open to either direction. Please let me know what you think. I'd like to hear from more than just a couple of you. I'll wait several days for comments and go from there. 

Or maybe none of this is a good idea, in which case, oh well.

Here's an update:
Indeed I have posted this French version back in 2013, but here's what's what: Those strips are from 1966, just prior to the Pandemonia epic arc. I've had a kind offer from Frits van der Waa to assemble the English strips in some sort of manner to match up with the booklet. Unfortunately I notice that some of the English strips are missing here and there, so there will be some English gaps. But it will be fun to see some Pogo strips that Fantagraphics is still a ways from reprinting. Thanks, Frits, the file is on its way.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Thom,
    you probably remember you posted this French episode way back in 2013. But you didn't have the originals at that time. If you send me those, I'll be more than happy to match them to the French edition. You've given us so much pleasure, so it's a pleasure to help you out!
    Best, Frits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you Frits! I will take you up on the offer

      Delete
  2. Tout le français, then all the English, please.

    ReplyDelete